Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gimme my ravioli!!

Most days, it feels like the gods are against me. But every now and then I have a little win. Today was my day!

I have been panicky in the last few weeks because I couldn't stock my pantry with the requisite amount of Gerber Graduates Pasta Pick-ups (aka baby ravioli). Here's what I'm talkin' about:




These things are super for Miri. They are easy to grab, don't have to be heated up (although I think they are better that way), and they make a great lunch for her at school. It's not that I am obligated to provide her with her own food for lunch (well, I do still go there to feed her twice a day, so you could say I bring her snacks all day long!), but Miri is more advanced when it comes to solids, and her classroom at school is just not really set up for this. They have a regular lunch for the kids each day, but for a tiny tot like her, it's just not usually the sort of stuff she can eat. Like most kiddos, she loves pasta, and these little jars are perfect for her. Yeah, yeah, I know they are totally processed, too much sodium, etc. But hey, you do what you can do. She digs 'em, she needs to eat, and so there you have it.

Problem is, these little gems suddenly became unavailable at my local Safeway. So I branched out to another Safeway. No dice. After calling the store to learn that they have been DISCONTINUED as a stocked item, I placed an order online from Target for two cases. Yes, I'm willing to pay through the nose for them (between their price and shipping -- sheesh!). Then I got a notice that they were backordered until June. Uuuuh, she'll probably be eating steak by then. I need them NOW. I checked the Gerber website, and best I can tell is that they are in the middle of a switchover to new packaging. Hey, I'm in Marketing, and I know that marcom crap is NO REASON to deny my child via an embargo on her ravioli!

Well, I happened to be at a third local Safeway today, getting prescriptions for my mother in law. I took a cruise down the baby aisle (habit), readying my mental message to Safeway grocery managers about their lack of attention to my needs (hello, I buy every jar they have on the shelf each week!). When what to my wondering eyes do I see?? A whole load of them, in three flavors, right there on the shelf!

I ran to get a cart and raced back to that aisle before some other mommy saw them.

I nearly bought them out. I decided that was just a tad selfish and it would be nicer if I could leave one of each flavor on the shelf for the neighborhood babies and their mommies, who surely must need these too.

Oh, and the other reason I'm feeling a win today....we are getting a tax refund (you know, of our own money). First time in 10 years. I don't mean to get all political on you, but I guess the formula for this "success" (is that what this is??) is:

1) Abuse yourself and your family trying to make as much as you can so you can be a good taxpayer and mortgage holder.
2) Send it all in to the IRS, including some you might not have earned yet. Worry about it every day. Go without so that you can send in quarterly payments.
3) Be happy that your income went down instead of up, even though you're getting closer to retirement, your 401K is in the toilet, and your children are getting closer to college age (OK, so admittedly we have a little time on this last one).
4) Be amazed when they send some back to you. Of course, you'll never get back the time you lost with your family.

And somehow I'm all relieved and happy about this.

No comments: